Thank you for considering Room for the publication of your original short stories, poems, creative non-fiction, or art. Room publishes fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and art by women (cisgender and transgender), transgender men, Two-Spirit and nonbinary people. We specifically encourage writers with overlapping under-represented identities to submit their work. We don’t want writers to feel restricted by gender or genre labels, so if you are unsure if your work is a fit for Room, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for submission advice? Check out our podcast, Lit Mag Love, which features interviews with editors from Room and other literary magazines and publications.
We also strongly suggest you get a sense of our tastes by reviewing material we've published in recent issues—buy newsstand copies, subscribe, borrow from a library, or visit our latest edition online. Alternatively, you can order single copies of specific issues, or pre-order our next issue for only $9 using the link below (may take up to three months to arrive).
- All contributors will be paid upon publication: $50 CAD for one page, $60 for two pages, $90 for three pages, $120 for four pages, $150 for five or more pages.
- We do not charge for submissions, with the exception of our annual contests.
- Check our home page regularly for updates on upcoming themes and deadlines. If your work is targeted for a particular theme, it will be considered for that theme as long as it is sent by the deadline. There is no need to add a special note or designation.
- We receive over 4,000 submissions each year and can only publish approximately 80-100 pieces. So send your absolutely best piece of work.
- Please be sure to send us work that has not been previously published in print or on-line.
- All prose submissions must be double-spaced.
- We do not publish the same writer more than twice a year, and never in consecutive issues.
- To avoid a flood of material by a single submitter or overly frequent submissions, please send only one submission in one category—poetry (up to 5 poems), fiction, or creative non-fiction—per quarter. (Note: You may enter our contests and make a regular submission at the same time so long as the materials are different.)
- Do not send a second submission until you have heard back from us considering the first one.
- Tell us in your cover letter whether your submission is exclusive to us or whether you have submitted it to other magazines as well.
- If another magazine accepts for publication work that you have also submitted to Room, advise us immediately.
- We respond to all submissions by email. Our average response time is between two weeks and six months.
- If you are using Hotmail or Gmail, please be sure to designate Room as an approved sender to prevent our response being caught up in your spam filters.
- For information on our writing contests and cover art contest, please visit our contest page.
How to Submit Your Work
We only use Submittable (http://www.submittable.com), a secure online submissions management tool, to manage our submissions. We do not accept submissions via mail. Any submissions received in the mail will be returned unread. When you submit your work, you will also be creating an account that will allow you to log in at any time to check the status of your submission. Follow these simple steps to submit your work:
- Go to https://room.submittable.com/submit.
- Create your account by entering the requested information.
- Choose your category/genre and click the Submit button.
- Enter the work's title, your cover letter*, and attach your submission. For poetry submissions, combine all poems into one document and start each poem on a new page.
- If applicable, fill out payment information.
- You're done! Log back in any time to check the status of your submission.
If you run into any problems, please email email@example.com.
For more information about Submittable, go to http://www.submittable.com.
*Don't forget to provide us with the following information in your cover letter:
- Your name, address, phone number, and email address.
- For fiction and creative non-fiction, an accurate word count of your piece.
Send us your most engaging work. These are not images to illustrate the literature, but submissions of their own standing. Submit up to five images (maximum of 1MB sized JPG or PDF) with a short paragraph about the work of art including: the title, size, medium and date. Please include a cover letter as stated in the general submissions (above). All art submissions should be sent through Submittable. Please note that all art considered for our internal pages will be printed in black and white or greyscale and we ask that you take this into consideration when choosing which artwork to submit to us.
Interested book reviewers can send their pitches to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fiction and creative non-fiction: Up to 3500 words
- Poetry: Up to five poems
- Art: up to 5 images
See also our FAQs.
Download Room's submission guidelines (PDF).