Room Magazine is seeking to hire a new Marketing and Communications Coordinator. The ideal candidate will have an educational background and/or previous work experience in social media, marketing, and communications.
This is a remote, permanent, part-time position, that commences in February 2023. The chosen candidate may work from anywhere in Canada, though ROOM’s Vancouver office is available if requested for use, and home-base in Vancouver would be an asset for upcoming in-person events. The pay rate is $20/hour for 20 hours per week, with health and dental benefits after 3 months.
The hired candidate will be responsible for promoting all of ROOM’s projects and events, managing ROOM’s social media accounts with regular and engaging posts, and for coordinating ad exchanges and purchases with other magazines and organizations. The hired candidate will be expected to work independently as part of a small team. We’re looking for someone who is a great communicator and shares ROOM’s commitment to to anti-oppressive practices and intersectional feminism. Knowledge of the Canadian literary community is an asset but is not required.
Please forward your resume, cover letter, and a small marketing portfolio of 3–5 pieces (eg: graphics, flyer, zine, newsletter, promo material, etc) to our Managing Editor, Shristi Uprety, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for the position must be received by December 30th, 2022.
A more detailed job description is available below.
Marketing and Communications Coordinator Job Description
- Manage Room’s social media presence on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (additional platforms are optional) and use innovative engagement strategies across platforms
- Promote the publication of Room’s quarterly issues, calls for submissions, writing and art contests, contest winners, longlists and shortlists, judge interviews and other contest promotional materials, local and virtual events, exclusive online content, special projects, and more as requested
- Promote Room’s Patreon and bi-annual spring and fall fundraisers
- Maintain consistent cross-platform branding and adherence to brand guidelines
- Create original graphics
- Write original copy for social media promotion
- Coordinate print and digital advertising and cross promotions with other magazines and organizations
- Coordinate and track newsletter advertising, including background research on Room partners, communications, and invoicing
- Maintain social relationships Room’s audience via DMs, emails, and other communications
- Build year-long and month-to-month content strategy for our key social media channels with the intent to increase engagement
- Write Room’s monthly newsletter in conjunction with the Managing Editor
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings and annual AGMs
Traits of a Successful Applicant:
- Familiarity with Canva, Later, WordPress, Slack, Excel, Submittable, MailChimp, PhotoShop
- Educational background and/or notable work experience in social media, marketing, or communications
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple ongoing production tasks, coordinate with multiple team members and collective members
- Ability to work independently and ensure deliverables are created, approved, and scheduled or posted in a timely fashion
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator may reside anywhere in Canada. This is a fully remote, work-from-home position, with the option to work from our office in Vancouver, which is unfortunately not wheelchair accessible. Home-base being in Vancouver would be an asset for upcoming in-person events, but location will not help or hinder any applications.
The pay rate is $20/hour for 20 hours per week, with full health benefits after 3 months, including vision, major dental, and parahealth. Payment is made bi-monthly by direct deposit.
Contact Shristi Uprety, at email@example.com should you have any further questions about the position.