We've extended the deadline of our cover art contest. Submit your visual art to us before December 15, 2016, and it could be on a cover of Room in 2017.
FIRST PRIZE: $500 + publication on the cover of issue 40.2 of Room
SECOND PRIZE: $50 + publication in issue 40.2 of Room
HONOURABLE MENTION: publication on Room's website
All winners will be published with an artist statement and profiled on Room magazine’s blog. Winners will have the option to submit additional artwork for the issue, which, if selected for publication, will be compensated for at our usual rates.
Read the interview with last year's winner.
Cover Art Contest Rules
- One cover art contest entry includes up to three images and corresponding artist statement(s). Please copy-and-paste the artist statement(s) in the section marked "Artist Statement" on the entry form in Submittable.
- Artist statements should be between 100-200 words.
- Judging will be blind. Please ensure that your name and bio are not included in your submission document or on your artist statement. You will have a chance to send us your bio once your work has been selected for publication.
- Please upload your artwork in JPG or PDF form. Maximum file size 1 MB. Winners will be contacted for high resolution work.
- There are no official guidelines for artwork dimensions, but please note that we will have to crop any artwork so that it fits the cover space (approximately 6 inches x 9 inches with a bleed). You can check out past covers of Room here.
- Each entry must be original, and must not have appeared on the cover of another publication (works that have been published on your own website or on the interior pages of a book or magazine, and or have been featured in a public exhibition are eligible), and not entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition.